Liberation Garden Forum Index
Join! (free) SearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly
Urban Commune
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic    Liberation Garden Forum Index » Ongoing Discussions View previous topic
View next topic
Urban Commune
Zeerahks
Dirty Hippy

Post Urban Commune  Reply with quote
(moved from Acorn Community thread)

This study is about Urban Communities, and has a lot of interesting information: http://ncane.com/4iv

The most common problems with urban communes are:

Noise/mess
Space
Privacy
Division of chores
Rent(/money)

If we do seriously consider the idea of an urban commune (Sacramento-based or not), we should probably try to address these issues beforehand.

I'll start by laying out a few ideas.

---

Privacy

Since we don't have the luxury of individual housing (as in the rural commune), it seems best to me for each person to have their own room with the other commune members understanding and accepting that each person's room is their private sanctuary: not to be disturbed except under permission or the gravest of circumstances.

---

Rent/Money

Apparently (from the pdf above), a number of urban communes require around 60-70 dollars per month from their members.  These were mostly located in Canada, though, so this may have to be tailored to other places.

If a member has the money, then there should be no question that it should be given.  Hoarding is a serious problem for communes if it happens, and should be dealt with.  However, if a member can't pay for the month, then there's a few other considerations.  If this is an oft-repeated thing (regular inability to pay), the member should be given an ultimatum: find a job (or some such thing).  If this hasn't happened before (or is, for some reason, a special circumstance), then the other members should do what they can to make up the difference.  We're a community (a family, really), and everyone should help each other if they can.

---

Division of chores

This is a fairly easy one.  Many communes rotate chores on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule.  There are exceptions, of course.  Cooking, for instance, tends to stay within a subset of one to two people (the people who can cook more than Ramen? Very Happy )

We could attack this from a couple different ways.  First, we could simply have (bi-)weekly rotations (with the exception of skill-based chores such as cooking).  Another way to do it would be to have some sort of preference-based system, where the chance of getting a chore you prefer is greater than the chance of getting one you dislike.

In the end, though, it kinda boils down to accepting the chore you're giving and not complaining.  After the week (or two) is up, someone else has to do it.

---

(I'm stopping there, for now.  It's late)

They say one shouldn't shit where one eats, but there are more types of shit than feces, and we consume much more than food.
-- Black Iron Prison

Fuck competition.  LOVE IS COOPERATION.  And I like being loved. Very Happy
Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:22 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
vov35
Dirt-Under-The-Nails Hippy

Post Reply with quote
I'd still complain... but I would do the chore FFS.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Selkie
Dirty Hippy

Post Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for doing all the hard work! Razz

The only problem I see with this is: some people might not be able to move before college, even if they can transfer (like myself), and jobs are hard to come by right now.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UnMeilleurReve

Post Reply with quote
I'm writing up my thoughts in a journal and transposing them to the internet in a bit because I have limited access to electronics. However, I thought I'd throw out a few things since this discussion has already started (yay!).

First, I think the private sanctuary thing is a necessity whether rural or urban. I've been having that problem a lot...

Second, chores should be restructured. It should be the rule to clean your mess as you make it under all circumstances: this reduces stress immensely and keeps things always orderly.

Third, if we make a fund of some sort that all excess money goes into (we should live very frugally if at all possible), and keep working on the rural idea, we can eventually move into a rural setting. Either that, or we can buy and build on land in the city and make our commune right in the middle of the city (I have to admit, civilization, culture, and utilities are all very handy to have).

Fourth, on the note of diet, I've discovered that having one's body function normally needs ample nutrition, and I've had to fall back from my vegetarian diet because my body and mind haven't been functioning properly after an extended veggie diet. If we were to prefer a veggie diet, we'd need to make sure supplements, etc. are always available, and doing it healthy is hard.

Anywho, hope everybody's break is treating them well. I'm in Salmon, ID, right now because I'm out a place to live again... Homeless and in college is really difficult, lol, especially when you can't afford books.
Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zeerahks
Dirty Hippy

Post Reply with quote
Great ideas!  I can't wait to read your journal!

Another thing I forgot to mention is the Decision-Making process.

(from the article I mentioned before) This process is very diverse between communities.  Some have twice-weekly meetings where all things are discussed.   Other communes refrain from formal meetings and instead resolve all conflicts and decisions over a large group meal (usually supper or dinner).  Still others have one formal meeting per week (attendance required) and a number of informal meetings (attendance optional).

This might be something we'd want to experiment with.  Try a different strategy every month or two until we find one that works best.  That or we could just pick one and make it work.

They say one shouldn't shit where one eats, but there are more types of shit than feces, and we consume much more than food.
-- Black Iron Prison

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:13 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Selkie
Dirty Hippy

Post Reply with quote
I've got 3k for college, but classes are turning out a lot cheaper than I thought, and quite a bit is being paid for by parents. Absolute maximum I will spend is like 1k, more likely just about $500 or so. So that should help start us off.

I'm curious: I know I've been talking and , uh, bragging about Sacramento a lot (I do love it!), but if we do decide to go ahead with the temp urban commune, what areas would people want?

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zeerahks
Dirty Hippy

Post Reply with quote
Well, California would be nice (from what I've heard).  We probably want to be somewhere that's fairly temperate throughout the year (cut down on climate control costs).  We probably want to be somewhere that has a higher tolerance of who we are/what we're doing (no upscale snob neighborhoods, etc).  I'd personally like to be in a highly populated area (no more grain belt for me, thank you!).

Condensed for those who don't like to read (vov Very Happy ):

Year-long temperate climate
Hippy-ish neighborhood
Large population

-- Black Iron Prison

Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:20 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
vov35

Post Reply with quote
Zeerahks wrote:

Condensed for those who don't like to read (vov Very Happy )

-_- I could've read that size paragraph.

Out of curiosity... how does one acquire a medical marijuana license?

Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:11 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Zeerahks
Dirty Hippy

Post Reply with quote
By being a cancer doctor, most likely.

-- Black Iron Prison

Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
vov35

Post Reply with quote
... How does one go about accomplishing that....

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:33 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Reply to topic    Liberation Garden Forum Index » Ongoing Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: